Santa Cruz Llanganuco trekking tour
The most popular trekking tour in the Andes.
This very popular trek ascends the Santa Cruz Valley and crosses the Punta Union Pass at 4750m, below spectacular peaks of the Cordillera Blanca and skirting turquoise glacial lakes. Beautiful Andean wildflowers are prolific during the trekking season.
Grade: Easy to Moderate. Up to 5-7 hours physical activity each day. Some exposure to heights
Start: 7:00am Huaraz
Finish: 15:00 aprox. in Huaraz
Departs: All year (but highly recommendable between may to september)
Join a scheduled departure or book a private and custom trip with dates to suit you.
Day 01: Huaraz – Cashapampa – Llamacorral (3800m/12464ft)
Duration: 3 hours (by car) 4 - 5 hours (hiking)
You are picked up at your accommodation and begin the journey with a spectacular scenic drive along the Callejon de Huaylas Valley to the village of Cashapampa 2900m which is the starting point of the trek (3 hours drive). There are opportunities for photo stops along the way. From Cashapampa we start to ascend steeply for about 2 hours and then the track levels out, we climb steadily along the Quebrada Santa Cruz to camp at Llamacorral 3750m. 5 hours walk.
Day 02: Llamacorral – Jatuncocha – Taullipampa (4200m/13776ft)
Duration: 5 -6 hours
An easier hike up the Santa Cruz valley to our camp at Taullipampa 4250m. 5 hours walk. It is generally flat and we ascend just the last hour towards the camp. We walk past the beautiful Jatuncocha Lake. Our camp is situated near at the base of the beautiful nevado Taulliraju Mountain and we are also surrounded by other peaks such as Paria, Artseonraju, Rinrijirca, Quitaraju and Alpamayo.
Day 03: Taullipampa – Punta Union Pass (4750m/15580ft) – Cachinapampa
Duration: 7 - 8 hours
We ascend steadily for about 3 hours on a good trail to the Punta Union Pass 4750m. We can feel the effects of the altitude as we reach the pass. From the pass we have very close views of the big mountains of the Cordillera Blanca. From the pass, we have a long descent passing two small lakes and then coming down into the Huaripampa Valley to camp at Cachinapampa 3800m. about 8 hours walk.
Day 04: Cachinapampa – Vaqueria – Huaraz
Duration: 3 hours (hiking) 4 hours (by car)
An easy walk down the Quebrada Huaripampa Valley where we pass by many farm houses and see a lot of local people, children, sheep, caws, goats and donkeys on the path. We then ascend for about an hour to Vaqueria 3700m 4 hours walk. We take our private transport over Portachuelo Pass 4767m and then down the steep zigzag road to the beautiful lakes of Llanganuco. We then return to Huaraz. About 4 hours drive.
What is included?:
- Pre-departure briefing: The day before your trek you will have a pre-departure briefing with your tour guide or one of our collaborators, who will explain in detail about the program and itinerary of the following days.
- Transport: You will be picked up from your hotel in the morning (between 7:15 to 7:30am) and will travel by private transportation to Cashapampa, the starting point of the trek.
- Experienced Guide: English speaking, professionally educated, and official tour guide. Your guide will explain the culture and surroundings along the entire route! He or she will keep you safe, sound, and comfortable on your trek so that you can enjoy your time worry-free!
- All camping & cooking equipment: (sleeping, Dining and kitchen tents, tables, chairs, and cooking equipment (all carried by the donkeys).
- Cargo Mules: For to carry the all camping equipment and your allowance of personal baggage (6 kgs/13.2 lbs).
- Trekking Cook: A chef specialized in cooking on the trail, with an assistant (if the group is more than 8 people), will prepare all of your delicious meals along the journey to replenish your energy.
- Meals: 3 Breakfasts, 4 Lunches, 3 Dinners (Vegetarian or special menus are available at no extra cost).
- Wake up coca tea: Every morning at the campsite, you will woken up with a cup of coca tea! Our staff will bring the tea to your tent so that you will be warmed from inside out before you start your day.
- Water for each day: We will provide boiled water every day to fill your bottle with it. You can do this in the morning before starting the trek or when you arrive at the camp in the afternoon. If you prefer you can also take your own tablets to purify the water.
- Tea time daily: Every afternoon before dinner, the cook will provide popcorn, biscuits, coffee, hot teas, hot water, etc. After a long day of hiking, you will not have to wait until dinner to eat and relax.
- Snacks on the trail daily: Our snacks consist of local fruits, biscuits, chocolate, caramels, etc. We will give this snack to you at the beginning of each day in your cloth bag.
- Entrance fee to Huascaran National Park
- Medical kit: Our staff will bring a first-aid kit, including emergency oxygen bottle.
- Transport: Private transport from Vaqueria to your hotel in Huaraz (day 4)
- Hotel accommodations for specified time in Lima and Huaraz.
- Sleeping Bags: Considered a personal equipment, but you can rent one from our company if you do not have your own. Our sleeping bags are effective and durable to protect from temperatures as low as -10ºC. They are mummy form and include a sleeping liner. The bags are cleaned after every use.
- Walking Sticks: You can rent a set from our company if you would like.
- Day 1 breakfast and last day dinner in Huaraz city.
- Travel, Personal, and/or medical insurance
- Personal clothing and gear
- Tips for our staff: Please note that our agency staff is well paid so please feel free to tip or not as you wish.
- Additional expenses as a result of leaving the tour early or additional expenses as a result of an emergency rescue or evacuation.
- Additional costs or delays out of control of the management (landscape, bad weather condition, itinerary modification due to a safety concern, illness, change of government policy, political instability/strike, etc.)
What to know?
How many days do I need to aclimate in Huaraz BEFORE THE TREK?
It is very important to be well acclimated to the altitude before exerting yourself on a trek.
We do recommend that you arrive to Huaraz at least 2 or 3 days before the trek starts to help you become acclimatized and avoid possible problems with altitude sickness while on the trek.
We can organize day hikes & other tours around Huaraz for your acclimatization:
If you have already been in another area of Peru at high altitude before arriving in Huaraz, we still recommend you have a complete day in Huaraz to rest, recover from your travel, and enjoy the sights and sounds of Huaraz before departing for the trek.
How to book the Santa Cruz Trek?
To make a booking, please email us to check availability and receive customized booking forms.
All clients will need to fill out a Passenger Details form.
Please be ready with the following information (FROM EACH PARTICIPANT in your group). We cannot purchase any Santa Cruz Trek classic 4 Days permits or entrance tickets without the following information:
- Personal information (Full name, exactly as on your passport):
- Passport number
- Date of birth (dd / mm / yyyy)
We require a deposit of 50% per person in order to purchase a permit for the Huascaran National Park 4 days. You can make you deposit by VISA (payment link) or Wester Union (request our data).
Prices & Dates
Prices according to number of people
Please contact us for more information.
EXCLUSIVE PRIVATE SERVICE:
|prices depends on the number of people
|please consult us
- **If you want to take this PRIVATE SERVICE you can book even a 2 weeks before the departure date.
GROUP DEPARTURE SERVICE:
|5 to 8 participants
|From: US$ 270
- If you book in advance we find the other participants for the date you choice. (Group Service considerate from 5 to 8 participants) We open a new group minimum base on 2.
- For booking validation you should deposit a 50% of total price, and rest 50% you pay when you arrive to Peru or Huaraz.
- Dear visitors you should know that our company is available to provide wherever information regarding our trip, for detailed information you should request us and we will reply as soon as possible, because we have an expert guide available.
- Our trek rates can change according the book time or number of participants, contact with us for more information please.
Join group departures 2020